Singita Sasakwa Lodge is one of three Singita lodges in this enormous private concession (340 000 acres) in northern Tanzania in the Singita Grumeti Reserve on the border of the western corridor of the Serengeti National Park. Sasakwa Lodge is built in the style of an Edwardian manor house. Stone walls, deep verandas, high ceilings, stately furniture, silverware and ornamental pieces complete the picture.
Sasakwa Lodge has 9 luxurious cottages and a villa, hosting a maximum of 34 guests at any one time.
6 – 1 bedroom cottages
2 – 2 bedroom cottages
1 – 3 bedroom cottage
1 – 4 bedroom villa
Each air-conditioned cottage features a four poster bedroom, en suite bathroom with bath and shower, lounge with fireplace, dressing area, a guest toilet, veranda with a Swarovski spotting scope and a heated infinity plunge pool overlooking the Grumeti Reserve. Cottages have a personal bar, fridge, electronic safe, direct dial telephone (US lines) and wireless internet access. There is wheelchair access to certain cottages.
Dining and Bar
The chefs are able to take care of any culinary needs. Special dietary requirements can be catered to with advance notice. A wide selection of fine wines, champagnes, cognacs and cigars are available.
Guests have access to a wide range of activities, including:
- Game drives and walks with professional guides
- Fun activities such as archery, lawn croquet, badminton, star-gazing safaris and mountain biking are all available
- There are tennis courts at Sasakwa Lodge with a choice of surfaces
- Spa facilities are available
- Yoga and gym facilities are available at Sasakwa Lodge
- Wireless internet access and satellite television
Private Land Rovers
All safaris are conducted in open Land Rovers with a maximum of six guests per vehicle shared. However, should you want complete privacy it is possible to hire a vehicle on a private basis. Sole use of Land Rovers will need to be reserved well in advance. Prices available on request.
Being close to the equator, and with an altitude of approximately 1,400 meters (4,600 feet), the temperature at Singita Grumeti Reserves is relatively consistent: midday temperatures range from 26°C to 35°C (78°F to 95°F). Overnight temperatures drop to between 13°C and 18°C (55°F to 65°F). There are two wet seasons – the long rains between February and May and the short rains between October and December. The average rainfall is approximately 759 mm (30 inches). Warmest month – March. Coolest months – July and August.
Singita Grumeti Reserves forms part of the world-famous migratory route. The Great Migration traditionally moves through Grumeti Reserves between June and August. However, there is an abundance of wildlife year-round. The Serengeti, which is Africa’s No. 1 World Heritage Site, is also home to 25 species of large carnivores, 40 herbivore species and over 600 types of bird – including five endemic species, with an impressively large number of raptors that form the highest concentration on the continent. This is also where you’ll find a wide range of primates, such as the rare Patas and Colobus monkeys and prolific plant life and species.
- Twice-daily scheduled flights are available from Arusha, and private charters can be arranged, all of which land at Sasakwa airstrip, located a few minutes from Sasakwa Lodge
- Flying time from Kilimanjaro International Airport to Grumeti is one and a half hours
- Flying time from Arusha Airport is one and a quarter hours
- Road transfer from Arusha is approximately 9 1/2 hours. Private Charters are available into Sasakwa airstrip
Sasakwa Lodge is family-friendly and children over the age of 10 are welcome at the lodge under parental supervision. Children under 10 years old can be accommodated if the lodge is booked on an exclusive use basis.
Need to Know
- Credit Cards: Visa, MasterCard and American Express
- Electricity: 110 converters are available at each lodge Power: 220 AV
- Check-in: 14h00. Check-out: 11h00
- Health requirements: Yellow Fever inoculations are compulsory when entering East Africa. Contact your doctor or travel clinic beforehand
- Malaria : Grumeti Reserves is a Malarial zone, however, there is a spraying program in place. Please ensure you consult your doctor before travelling to East Africa
- Guests to bring binoculars
- Luxurious all-suite accommodation, breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, teas and coffees
- Two open Land Rover safaris per day accompanied by an experienced game ranger, mountain biking, walking, tennis and archery
- Laundry and valet services subject to certain conditions and restrictions
- Drinks while on the Land Rover safaris
- All drinks, including premium wines, spirits and liqueurs (excluding vintage champagne and vintage wines on the connoisseurs wine list)
- Boutique purchases
- Air transfers to and from the lodges
- Health spa treatments
- Use of private Land Rover
- Certain special meal requests
Since Singita Game Reserves is situated in a Malaria region, it is essential to ensure that appropriate prophylactics be taken throughout the year. Please consult your doctor or pharmacist for further information. Yellow Fever inoculations are compulsory.